Is It Safe to Eat Moldy Bread or Moldy Cheese?

Is It Safe to Eat Moldy Bread or Moldy Cheese?


For the quick answer to your question: no
and sometimes. While not all molds are bad for you to eat,
many are, and unless you want to whip out a microscope and meticulously identify the
mold present on your food (note: there are 300,000 known types and counting), as a general
rule it’s better to avoid moldy foods. Not all molds that are bad for you will cause
apparent symptoms right away either. For instance, many molds produce Aflatoxin
which is a substance that will up your chances of getting cancer and may cause a variety
of other health problems for you, though not necessarily right away. That being said, sometimes it is OK to cut
off the mold and eat what’s underneath. As to when it’s OK to eat moldy foods and
when it’s not, it depends on the food item. With respect to bread and cheese, it’s important
to understand that the visible mold you see on the surface of bread and cheese also sends
root threads down into the food. In molds that are bad for you, these threads
often have poisonous substances in and around these ‘roots’. With hard cheeses, the mold has trouble penetrating
deeply into the cheese. As such, you can cut an inch of cheese off
of each side and discard the moldy slices and it should be safe to eat (note: just scraping
the visible mold off isn’t good enough, you must cut deeply in, to make sure you’re
getting rid of the runners). Thus, hard or semi-hard cheeses like Cheddar,
Colby, Gorgonzola, Gruyere, Parmesan, Romano, Stilton, and Swiss, among others, are completely
fine to cut the moldy part away and eat what’s underneath. Soft cheese like Brie, Camembert, Cottage
cheese, Cream cheese, Neufchatel, or Ricotta you should throw out if you notice mold on
them. In addition to that, any shredded or crumbled
cheese, regardless of type, should always be discarded if you discover mold. All that being said, some cheese is made with
mold, such as the aforementioned Brie, Roquefort, and Camembert. Obviously the mold that the cheese is made
with is safe to eat. But if you notice other mold growing on the
cheese, cut it off or throw it out depending on whether it’s hard or soft cheese. Now with breads, you should always throw away
the bread when you discover mold on it. Even though in a solid loaf you could easily
cut off a couple inches of the moldy part, unfortunately because bread is so porous,
the mold has no trouble spreading its runner threads throughout the bread’s innards,
unlike with hard cheeses. In the case of sliced bread, you also usually
should throw away the whole loaf. Mold spreads amazingly fast, so if you see
one spot of mold, it’s likely that the other bread in a package also has mold on it, even
if you can’t see it yet. The same goes for shredded cheese, one spot
of mold visible likely means that it has also spread to the entire package of shredded cheese. So, as a general rule, if the food item is
hard (hard cheese, hard fruits and vegetables, etc.) and has mold, it’s usually alright
to cut off some of the food item and eat what’s underneath, particularly when there is a low
moisture content in the food item. Soft fruits and vegetables, like strawberries,
oranges (note: the outer rind is easily penetrated by mold), green beans, etc. should be thrown
out when mold is discovered. For semi-soft food items or hard items with
high moisture content, as a general rule when these items turn moldy, “when in doubt,
throw it out”. Pro Tip: when cutting moldy cheese away, be
particularly carefully to keep the knife blade from touching the mold spots. This will reduce the likelihood of spreading
the mold to the uncontaminated innards. Once you’re done cutting the moldy cheese
away, putting it in a new package will also help significantly towards keeping it mold
free for longer. Also, never sniff mold, this can result in
respiratory problems.

100 Replies to “Is It Safe to Eat Moldy Bread or Moldy Cheese?

  1. And Simon didn't even need to research this because it's all common sense any adult should know. Hang in there Simon, someone should ask an interesting question some soon

  2. I think you meant to say "cut off a couple of mm of cheese". Nobody's cutting off an inch per side of cheddar or Gruyere.
    Any other foodstuff? One mold sighting and it's in the furnace with you. DIAF.
    This is a very good reason to avoid buying "shredded mexican cheese *with Jalapeno*" because nobody can tell the difference between jalapeno bits and mold.
    Whilst I'm here, it's worth mentioning that there's no such thing as 'expired' cheese. If an old piece of Brie goes pink after a few months and starts to smell like a locker-room laundry bag. It's just nature's way of saying "congratulations" for having the patience to age it to perfection.

  3. Author of the vid reminds me of Vsauce, British (English) version of Vsauce.
    btw
    Eating mold in bread has a connection with causing cancer etc.
    Even if you cut off the mold part, there are microscopic network of bread mold.

  4. Once I ate mouldy bread it was full blue on one side that I didn’t see and the whole loaf of bread was blue but I was alright

  5. Swiss cheese? Schabziger? Emmental? Vacherin? Tomme? Gruyere? Sbrinz, maybe? You people are cheesists. 😂😂😂 but also 🖕🍻🧀 #hopswitz

  6. i never deluded myself into thinking that by cutting off the moldy bit of bread got rid of the mold. But i do figure that if there's not enough to be visible it's not enough to hurt me. So far I've never gotten sick from cutting of the mold on bread and eating the rest. I think the only food poisonings i've had were from meat and or dairy (not cheese, i never own cheese long enough for it to get moldy)

  7. I have a Q: I’m deathly allergic to penicillin. I was given it once and went into anaphylactic shock and stopped breathing and almost died.

    Is penicillin made out of the same mold that appears on bread and other foods?

  8. I've always just thrown away the moldy part of bread and ate it anyways and I will continue to do so seeing as how I've never gotten sick

  9. My cousin once read that the ergot mold on rye bread is used in making lsd and purposely let a loaf of rye bread under his bed get very moldy before eating it. Funny thing about that, first off that's not how that form of mold works anyway and he ended up in the hospital with a fungal infection of the throat mouth and overall food poisoning. Did he learn no. He did this 3 times before age 15. He is now 20 and thank God is no only slightly dumber than Patrick star

  10. Good to know as I’ve been removing mould from bread and cheese for years while trying to leave behind as much food as possible. Sigh. I’m going to be wasting a lot more food now.

  11. I came home very late one night and didn't want to wake the fam so I left the lights off. I was starving so I went to the kitchen and opened up the package of marked down French bread and scarfed what was the most delicious bread I've ever had. I went to bed satisfied with a full tummy. When I awoke and ventured into the kitchen for more, the bread was growing green hair. It was the moldiest motherlickin bread I've ever seen. No wonder it was so moist. I should've felt repulsed at the sight of its discoloration, but I wasnt. That naughty piece of bread was hideous, but the sheer diliciousness of that bread had me coming back to eat it for breakfast. To this day, I feel guilty for having turned down that last piece of moldy french bread. It's taste was absolutely breadthtaking. It been so good to me the night before but it was just too ugly. I now eat all my manager's special bread in the dark so I won't get a chance to judge a loaf by it's cover

  12. Yeah… if somethings even a little moldy, I'm avoiding it, except for blue cheese, that shits too delicious to avoid.

  13. Today I ate mouldy mozzarella by accident, and I ate a lot of it! It’s now 6 hours later and I feel extremely sick!

  14. I ate moldy cheese. There was black lumps and a white outline, orange dots that look like roe. Phew. It’s Colby cheese, I cut out the moldy bits.

  15. Looking for more cheesy fun? Then check out this video and find out The Origin of “Say Cheese” and When People Started Smiling in Photographs:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC1_x7zNXyY

  16. this is all well and good for cheese and bread, but how deep will the mold tunnel into my bear, and how much of said bear do i need to cut off in order to ensure all mold tunneled into my bear has been removed?

  17. Why are people eating molded cheese especially blue cheese and they even eat the molds for the flavor to kick in…

  18. I’m starting to doubt that mold I accidentally eat does anything to me, it just tells me not to eat it next time. So basically, I may be able to resist mold…

  19. I always eat bread that is mouldy. You know, see it on a few slices, get rid of those and eat the rest. hahahaha. Seem to be ok.

  20. Fornme it has been safe, been doing this for years and have had no ill consequence from this.

    Fungi is really not harmful to me, no complications done to me

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *